About

Hi! I'm Olaf. I was born in Poland, about twenty years later than I'd prefer. Thereupon, I cannot remember the magic 80's regardless to how hard I try. But I've found it possible to revive the 80's. I've set this site to share with you my imagination of 80s and help you feel like those days were never gone. I'd really appreciate any help of you - I'm going to show you something and - I hope - you'll teach me about something, too. Please, enjoy your stay at "Bring Back 80's"! Best regards, Olaf. Read more about me »

Bring Back 80s YT Channel

Bring Back 80s Youtube Channel Featured Work

Keep in touch

RSS Feed Twitter Facebook

Subscribe via email

If you remembered Julie

piątek, 9 kwietnia 2010

Hi there once again,

the second post, the second step to the immortality. Ok, not that quickly. ;)

A few days ago I mentioned I want to show you a magical world of 80s. Songs, artists, films, actors, events, etc. I came in time to remind you the intro from Knight Rider (I'm gonna dedicate it a special post in the nearest future). So - if it's really the second - please forgive me beginning with the song released in 1993 as it's quite early 90s and still strongly influenced by 80s. It's Julia by Chris Rea.

Chris Rea

Probably most people knows it as it's still quite a popular song. So what's the reason Chris Rea was mentioned now? The song's name. Name. Name. I dunno whether you've noticed, almost every band has its own Julie. So had Chris Rea and so had Shakin' Stevens, the second musician I'm gonna show you. Enjoy the first step into the real 80's atmosphere. Oh Julie by Shakin' Stevens, song released in 1982.



Michael "Shaky" Barratt

D'ya feel that?! D'ya feel?! ;) Let someone tell me there's no power in this song. All in all, it's pretty addicting but still not the one this post is really about.

The third song I want to show you tonight is probably the best Polish rock-ballad ever.

The band, Budka Suflera, was set yet in mid 70s but the song I think about was released in 1982. Almost forty years of activity brought changes of the vocalists and - obviously -
the one who Budka Suflera hasn't even released a CD with, was also an author of band's best ever song.

Jolka, Jolka, pamiętasz (Julie, Julie, you remember) is a beautiful song connecting generations of Poles all over the World. Certainly, it's the most heart-touching Polish ballad ever.

Lyrics by Marek Dutkiewicz,
music by Romuald Lipko,
and incredible, unforgettable voice of Felicjan Andrzejczak.

Please, enjoy, vid from 1998, 16 years after the song's release.



Emigrowałem z objęć twych nad ranem
Dzień mnie wyganiał, nocą znów wracałem,
Dane nam było słońca zaćmienie,
Następne będzie może za sto lat


Felicjan Andrzejczak 

As it's a beautiful song, I still do not feel admirable to translate the lyrics to postpone its depth. In a word, think it's a great story of two separated lovers. A broken heart, and dream of freedom. The real 80's essence.

Ok, it's enough for today. I hope you've liked that. Please, feel free to comment.
Have a nice day,
Olaf


As I've stated a few times before, I want to share with you different parts of 80's culture. According to my nationality, I know mostly Polish and American (or worldwide) stuff, so there's a moment to appeal - if you know any specific for your country 80s songs, films, etc., please, let me know. I'd love to check it and - maybe - describe, as well, mentioning your help. Let the idea of reviving the 80s be not only my lone scream!

photo by A. Nurczyk

0 komentarze:

Prześlij komentarz

Please, support my efforts. All the comments and opinions are being greatly appreciated. Share your thoughts, suggest things to be described or even say "Hello" to me :)